Friday, August 22, 2014

I am... Megan

I am…

a little sister, protected by my brother Sean, raised to stay positive even in the midst of failure.

a daughter, with outgoing and unique parents to follow behind, calling Springfield, Missouri home.

a granddaughter, seeking to know who my grandparents are, to hear stories of my parents when they were my age, to go through old family albums. a niece, who desires a relationship with my father’s five brothers and five sisters, scattered all over the west side of the United States.

I am…

a disappointing trip to Disneyland, expecting to go to build-a-bear, my first teddy bear after my brother and I begged for hours on the way to the airport.

a vacation to the Grand Canyon, shorts and flip-flops packed and ready to go, ending up in Colorado, spending my souvenir money on a hoodie and a pair of sweats.

a road trip that led to my brother’s new home in Arizona, saying goodbye to my built-in body guard, my role model, wondering when I will see him again.

I am…

a torn blanket, never leaving my side, animal planet on throughout the recovery from getting my tonsils removed, a late night call into my brothers room to turn a nightlight on, relief when he would tell me the monsters were all gone.

a video taken post wisdom teeth removal, two teens, eight less teeth, and an interesting week for my dad.

a drive out of town, coming home with two chickens and hopes not to get grounded for life, late-night trips to who knows where, taco bell baja blasts, spending weeks at a time with my best friend.

a haircut from my brother leading to me getting in trouble for it, putting a blanket in the tub with a mattress above to protect me from the non-existent tornado while Sean played video games until our parents got home.

a glass bear bank given to me by my dad’s father, remaining the only gift received from him while he still knew who I was, the robber who broke into my house that took it from me, thankful that I still have the memory that made it important.

a set of care bear glasses, keeping my childhood treasures inside, given to me by my mother’s stepmom.

a night dedicated to games and laughter with the family, escaping from the dark areas of life, waiting eagerly for the next family game night to occur.

I am…

my dad’s blonde hair and smile, my mom’s hazel eyes and dimples, mistaken twin of my brother, a growth spurt that Sean never caught up with, telling him he is like my little brother that’s just three years older.

shy and quiet in one moment, outgoing and loud the next, and awkward all the time.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you embrace your awkwardness...because we are all a little that way, aren't we? It's fun having you in class writing about about Sean--it's kind of like he's back in my life, too! Sounds like you two had some great times growing up together, and if you're anything like my sisters and I are, you'll be fast friends for life. I'd love to know what became of the two chickens you brought home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also taco bell's baja blasts, I have had so many since it started selling in grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete